Newport, Oregon–The Oregon Coast Aquarium will celebrate World Oceans Day Friday, June 8, 2012 with activities and information about ocean conservation. This year’s theme, Youth: the Next Wave for Change, encourages people to reach out to youth in the community to inspire stewardship of our oceans. On World Oceans Day, people around the planet celebrate and honor the body of water that links all of us, for its beauty and bounty. The Ocean Project and The World Ocean Network have promoted and coordinated the growing global celebration since 2002.
The Oregon Coast Aquarium will offer a day of ocean inspired games and activities with Dr. Seuss’s legendary One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, including;
- World Oceans Day activities for kids
- FREE Dr. Seuss surprises (while supplies last)
- Information about how to be a steward of our seas and oceans
- An inspirational day for the entire family
- Animal keeper talks
- Dive presentations
The world’s ocean:
- Generates most of the oxygen we breathe
- Helps feed us
- Regulates our climate
- Cleans the water we drink
- Offers us a pharmacopoeia of potential medicines
- Provides limitless inspiration!
World Oceans Day encourages people to:
- Change perspective – encourage individuals to think about what the ocean means to them and what it has to offer all of us with hopes of conserving it for present and the future generations.
- Learn – discover the wealth of diverse and beautiful ocean creatures and habitats, how our daily actions affect them, and how we are all interconnected.
- Change our ways – we are all linked to, and through, the ocean! By taking care of your backyard, you are acting as a caretaker of our ocean. Making small modifications to your everyday habits will greatly benefit our blue planet.
- Celebrate – whether you live inland or on the coast we are all connected to the ocean; take the time to think about how the ocean affects you, and how you affect the ocean, and then organize or participate in activities that celebrate our world ocean.
The Oregon Coast Aquarium is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit educational attraction dedicated to the highest quality aquatic and marine science programs for recreation and education so the public better understands, cherishes, and conserves the world’s natural marine and coastal resources. For more information, visit the Aquarium’s Web site at www.aquarium.org or call (541) 867-FISH. # # # #
News Release From: Oregon Coast Aquarium