Albany, Ore. – The Albany Fire Department responded to Crest Loop NW at approximately 2:35 p.m. to a reported house fire received from a 911 call. Firefighters arrived in approximately 4 minutes to find a two-story single-family home with fire showing on the deck and eves of the home. Firefighters cut a vent hole in the roof to remove any smoke and discovered the fire had spread into the attic. The fire was brought under control in approximately 15 minutes.
The fire was discovered by a passer-by who saw the fire and stopped at the home and started yelling “fire” to the owners who were inside the home; and, then called 911 using a cell phone. The majority of the fire damage was on the deck and in the attic of the home.
Firefighters had to remove a large portion of the ceiling in the living room while searching for fire spread and to assist in its extinguishment. Firefighters were able to rescue several small reptiles in cages to include two turtles and a bird, without harm.
The home owner left a lit charcoal BBQ unattended on the wood deck of the home for about 5 hours during which ashes dropped onto the deck. The cause of the fire has been determined to be accidental, with the dollar loss estimated to be $20,000. Twenty-two Fire Department personnel responded to this emergency call. There were no injuries reported as a result of this incident.
News Release from: Albany Fire Department